Yeovil is the largest town in South Somerset and a rapidly growing, vibrant place to live and study. It is an economic hub supporting approximately 170,000 people and boasting a wealth of great independent and chain shops and restaurants, as well as some fantastic music, arts and leisure facilities and venues. As our students soon discover, we are much more than helicopters!
Sports fans will also find much to enjoy with fantastic Football, Rugby, Basketball, Netball and Athletics.
Although there is plenty to see and do in Yeovil itself, the town is in the heart of the Somerset countryside, within easy access of the A303 and M5 and less than an hour from Dorset’s spectacular coastline, Devon’s beautiful countryside and seaside towns and cities including Bristol, Bath and Exeter.
The Yeovil Vision project is leading town developments, with plans for new sports facilities, commercial and residential villages and more, ensuring that Yeovil will continue to offer students a dynamic social experience in an idyllic country setting and remain a destination of choice within the South West.
The Yeovil Town Vision motto is “The Heart of the Country, the Mind of a City” and Yeovil offers the very best aspects of these different worlds.
Top 10 Attractions of Yeovil:1. Fleet Air Arm Museum - is devoted to the history of British naval aviation. It has an extensive collection of military and civilian aircraft, aero engines, models of aircraft and Royal Navy ships (especially aircraft carriers), and paintings and drawings related to naval aviation.
2. Octagon Theatre - Modern theatre and visual arts gallery hosting a broad programme of drama, dance and musicals.
3. Nine Springs - Ninesprings Country Park, run by South Somerset District Council, is situated within the town of Yeovil and offers 127 acres of natural parkland.
4. Yeovil Recreational Centre - is considered by many to be the top outdoor sporting venue in South Somerset. The Artificial Grass Pitch is suitable for Hockey, Football and other sports including Tennis. Yeovil Athletics Arena is home to the Yeovil Olympiads. The facility features an eight-lane synthetic track, field event area, grandstand, terraced seating and floodlights. There are also adult and junior grass football pitches available for hire. The pitch & putt and mini golf courses are available for use during the Recreation Centre opening times. The Rec has several facilities which can be booked, and several facilities which can be used without booking. All booking can be made by contacting the bookings line - 01935 462616.
5. Huish Park (YTFC) - Huish Park is a football stadium located in Yeovil, Somerset. The stadium has been home to Yeovil Town F.C. since its completion in 1990, following their relocation from Huish. Yeovil Town F.C. are currently playing League 1 football, only two tiers away from the Premiership!
6. Traditional Pubs/Resturants - Yeovil has a very wide range of different pubs and resturants, catering to everyones taste. Ranging from Italian, Indian, Chinese and many more!
7. Nightlife - Yeovil's nightlife boasts multiple night clubs (Club Neo, Chicago Rock, etc.), but if you aren't into the partying scene, many other recreational options are also available at night!
8. Cineworld - A ten screen Cineworld near Yeovil's town centre. The Multiplex cinema chain showcases the latest international blockbusters in 2D and 3D formats.
9. 1st Bowl & High Fly - A great bowling and trampoline experience. A Family chain bowling facility with computerised scoring, a licensed bar, a diner and pool tables.
10. Quedam Shopping Centre - The Quedam Centre is an open air shopping centre which forms the prime shopping pitch of Yeovil town centre. Anchored by M&S, Topshop and Primark, the centre has a large multi-storey car park. Other multiple retailers include H&M, Wilkinsons, HMV, River Island, Monsoon, and JD.